Aligning R&D to markets – Enhancing market presence and extending pan asia footprintTitle Description
Over a multi-year effort, Sathguru helped an Indian multinational seed company to prioritize and optimize their research programs and access relevant technologies that helped in development of innovative, market relevant and competitive products that augmented market penetration and pan Asia footprint.Challenge/Problem statement/Situation analysis
Our client, an innovation focused Indian seed company was in its growth phase having a large product portfolio with significant investments in diverse research programs. The client’s investments in research steadily increased over the period with addition of new crops and traits. However, the market penetration was significantly low compared to their huge investment in research. On the contrary, the competitors focused their investments on fewer crops with regional specific traits that provided them the edge and market dominance. The management sought assistance in optimizing their research and product portfolio and developing a strategy to enhance market penetration and augment business growth.Scope
The scope of Sathguru’s engagement included:
- Benchmarking product portfolio with respect to trait performance for geographic and market relevance.
- Reviewing research programs and Intellectual Property (IP) and evaluate competitive landscape to link product pipeline to future markets.
- Assessing technological gaps and facilitating technology access to optimize research and product portfolio.
Sathguru’s approach was to bolster the core of the client business, identify the strengths and combine it with the right technology to provide competitive advantage and ability to achieve their maximum potential.
To achieve this, Sathguru:a) Interacted with the management to understand their vision and growth plans for the organization not only from research but also from market perspective.
b) b) Conducted detailed internal review to:
- Analyze product and research portfolio for strength of their traits.
- Assess the relevance of traits to markets and positioning of their products in target markets.
- Assess their breeding programs (conventional and modern), technology platforms, quality of the germplasm and intellectual property.
- Evaluate human resources and infrastructure bandwidth.
- Identify and analyze major competitors operating in the same market segment.
- Map research and industry trends.
- Landscape for relevant technologies for future markets.
- Sathguru made specific recommendations to implement an innovation driven model that ensures development of advanced products and growth in new markets.
- Sathguru recommended research priority that was focused on select products with specific traits and also created a product portfolio suitable for market penetration in various geographies.
- Sathguru identify and facilitated access to new technologies that were included in the research pipeline to generate products which would address future market requirements and ensure sustainable growth.
- Sathguru recommended new geographies for business expansion based on the research and product capabilities of the clients.
Sathguru’s “Advancing Innovation” approach enabled the client to emerge as one of the leading Indian seed companies with extended foot print in many geographies in South Asia and South East Asia.