Establishing NIFTEM – Creating a world class institute to enhance education, research and entrepreneurship in the food processing sector in India.Title Description
Sathguru assisted the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) in conceptualizing, designing, developing and operationalizing the multi-faceted National Institute of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management (NIFTEM).Challenge/Problem statement/Situation analysis
Food processing accounted for a mere 2% of the total food produced in India. In the interest of food and nutritional security of the nation it was essential to aggressively promote food processing. Also the booming economy, growing aspirations and nutritional needs of the country necessitated significant research, innovation and investments in food sector. The Ministry realized the urgency of the situation and wanted to promote a first of its kind food institute that is driven by innovation with a right blend of training, research, development and commercialization. Sathguru facilitated creation of NIFTEM as per the vision of MoFPI.Scope
The scope of Sathguru’s engagement included:
- Conceptualize, design, develop and operationalize NIFTEM including a teaching institute and a food incubator.
- Develop and propose an organizational structure for the institute.
- Design curriculum and developrelevanteducational programs.
- Develop research focus, identify and facilitate collaborations (both domestic and international.)
- Develop strategic industry outreach frameworkfor commercialization ofin-house research and innovations.
Sathguru’s approach was to integrate the three pillars of technology, innovation and entrepreneurship in creating a world class food institute.
To achieve this, Sathguru:
- Adopted a consultative process to ascertain expectations of various stakeholders and determine focus areas for the institute.
- Utilized its extensive linkages and experience with international research & development institutions across the globe to benchmark and conceptualize the institute.
- Assessedinfrastructure and resource requirements to set up a state-of-the-art food incubator and training facilities.
- Developed industry outreach program and the overall strategy to engage with various stakeholders.
- Facilitated curriculum design and development by analyzing and benchmarking with the best programs globally.
To establish NIFTEM as a world class concept institute Sathguru recommended
- Seamless integration of the objectives of different stakeholders (students, researchers, law makers, industry and other private and public bodies) operating in food processing sector.
- Establishing a futuristic R&D and pilot infrastructure that can address not only the current but also the emerging needs of food enterprises.
- A structured approach to identifypotential partner for research collaborations and was instrumental in creating some of the initial collaborations.
- Extensive use of social media as an effective marketing tool.
Sathguru’sintegrated approach ensured setting up of comprehensive infrastructure that catered to diverse needs of all stakeholders.It is also created first of its kind institutein the country that integrated knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurship.