Incentive driven framework fosters innovation in indian public sector.Title Description
The Indo-Swiss Collaboration in Biotechnology (ISCB), is a bilateral program of governments of India and Switzerland aimed at funding research in Indian public system for the development of agricultural technologies. Sathguru helped ISCB develop an incentive driven framework to encourage and foster innovation in public sector.Challenge/Problem statement/Situation analysis
Our client, was challenged in justifying the impact created with investments made in research through public funds. Our client sought assistance in development of a framework that promoted protection of intellectual property and technology commercialization through technology transfer & licensing and encouraged research and innovation.
The current system does not encourage the public researchers to develop commercialization technologies due to lack ofScope
The scope of Sathguru’s engagement included:
- Develop a mechanism for protection of intellectual property generated in various public research institutions under the ISCB program.
- Create a structure for technology management and a framework to promote innovation and technology licensing in public sector.
Sathguru’s approach was to build a culture of scientific innovation by aligning interest of researchers to that of the program and making ISCB program more efficient and globally competitive.
To achieve this, we:
- Studied the intellectual property policies of globally progressive research organizations, academic institutions and research programs of large funding organizations.
- Developed a strategy for innovation driven research in public sector and a framework for technology commercialization.
- To foster innovation in the public sector and augment technology commercialization, Sathguru recommended:
- Evaluation of IP protection on a case to case basis to arrive at the best means of stimulating research, innovation and technology transfer.
- Strategic IP protection to enhance transferability of technologies to private sector and facilitate wide dissemination of these technologies.
- Collaborations with not only Indian but also international public and private sector.
- Rewarding inventors for generating industry relevant IP by sharing licensing income.
Created a first of its kind sustainable mechanism to foster innovation in public system and transfer of technologies to private sector for commercialization.